Tuesday 26 April 2011

April: Emily Jane White - The Law

"You can peer into the weaknesses and the bleakness in me."

Emily Jane White is someone who I've followed since her 2007 debut 'Dark Undercoat'. She's been making a bit of a name for herself in France without ever having the commercial success in the UK that she really deserves.

'The Law' is probably my favourite thing she's ever done. It starts with a beautifully picked guitar intro and a gentle melody. It's a seemingly light folk song. Just singer and acoustic, with little hint of the darker turn that the song will soon take once EJW sings of being able to "peer into the weaknesses and bleakness in me".

A piano suddenly thumps menacingly away. The volume slowly rises. She's "seen a glimpse of mortal hell". She wasn't joking when she admitted in an interview that "It isn't my job to write happy songs...and I'm ok with that".

Her French label, the excellent Talitres Records, are offering the song free as a download when you sign up to her mailing list, here.


No comments:

Post a Comment